:cry: bl**dy 1303s thing failed its MOT on the following

rear wheel bearings - too much play
rear brake hoses - corrosion on connections
seat belt - in-operative
Headlamp adjustment - both lamps
dipped beam - not working nearside
tyres - 2 needed
washers - in-operative

I had the mot done at a Nationwide Autocentre for convenience and they are absolute idiots - don't go there. They quoted 400 quid to rectify all the above.

I ordered the bits from german and swedish for next to nothing and my local mechanic has quoted me peanuts to do the work and he's dropping the front end while its there.

Although i do need help with the following

I pumped the spare tyre up before mot but by the time they came to do it (the following day) the tyre was flat. however i don't think the tyre has a puncture!

i have to change the bulbs in the speedo

i have to remove the door cards to fit new doow window rubbers (the ones that meet the window, not the ones that surround the door).

i need to sort out the headlamp - bulb is ok and so is the wiring in that area.

help me out people!!!!

ps think of joining a club- probably in the telford area or kidderminster area as those are closest to me.

rapidresto
02-03-2005, 10:46 PM
unless someone beats me to it i'll answer your questions in the morning (off to bed now) but all seems pretty simple. By window rubber i assume you mean the external one?

conrad668s
03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
both rubbers for the door window, the inner and outer.

rapidresto
03-03-2005, 09:00 AM
I pumped the spare tyre up before mot but by the time they came to do it (the following day) the tyre was flat. however i don't think the tyre has a puncture!

Does the tyre only go flat when the washer bottle is connected? If so it the pipe / valve in the pressurised washer bottle replace the pipe / check connections.
If not it's most likely to be a leak between the tyre and the rim - get it re-seated and sealed - tenner max.

i have to change the bulbs in the speedo

Easy one. Speedo simply 'pushes out' from the rear and the bulbs are in holders on the back.

i have to remove the door cards to fit new doow window rubbers (the ones that meet the window, not the ones that surround the door).

To get door cards off, slide a wide flat bladed screwdriver and lever out. the card is held on by lots of clips that are a push fit.
However, replacing the outer rubber / scraper is a pain, it's attached to the chrome bit that surrounds the door window. To replace you'll that to take the glass and quaterlight out and then the felt channel, a screw and a few clips. also easy to damage the new one when putting in (and the new ones are about £26!)

Inner one is much easier tho, again a clip fit.

i need to sort out the headlamp - bulb is ok and so is the wiring in that area.

Have you checked the earth connection? inside the bonnet by the tank / spare wheel area the brown wire that is screwed into the body, check all connections are clean and firm. also check for broken wires.

help me out people!!!!

ps think of joining a club- probably in the telford area or kidderminster area as those are closest to me.

get along to the FLF4's meets on a tuesday night, top bunch and free chip butties.

conrad668s
03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
i have checked looked at the headlamps again and now i have lost both side lights and and still cant get the lamp to work on dipped

so far i have tried swaping the headlamps over, new bulb, the fuses, the light switch and its got worse!!!!!

must be a wiring fault, im thinking.

my doors are the ones with one piece of glass, is it the same procedure?

i'll check the washer bottle again

cheers so far

rapidresto
03-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Definatly sounds like a wiring fault, keep checking the fuses if your wirking with the batt connected as it's easy to blow them! Do you have a wiring diagram?

If your car is fitted with 1 piece windows it's an aftermarket conversion (never came from the factory like that) which is good and bad. It means the rubber seals are easier to change but they will always be prone to leaking. get the best quality ones you can and fitting should be pretty simple.

Keep plugging away and you'll get to the bottom of it soon!

Garrick
03-03-2005, 05:27 PM
probably easier to re-wire the headlights if there's a fault in the line... have you got a voltmerter you can check the wires with to see if there is power going down them?

8)

conrad668s
03-03-2005, 09:09 PM
probably easier to re-wire the headlights if there's a fault in the line... have you got a voltmerter you can check the wires with to see if there is power going down them?

8)
i have sent off to have the mot stuff done, so they can sort the lights as well. even managed to loose one of the tail lights on the way to the garage!!
i was really disapointed today when i couldn't sort the lights, then driving into the local garage(7 miles away) i thought - it'l be worth it in the end.

oh and i just brought some alloys, - comfort spending