PDA

View Full Version : lowering

Daz_bluebug
08-03-2005, 06:05 PM
hey am i being silly if i think i can lower my bug by just buying lowered shocks or do u need a lowered beam then the shocks? :shock: :? :shock:

Bignut
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Shocks won't lower it on thier own!

You need to sort the beam out first. Either cut/turn/re-weld, or cut/weld in adjusters, or someone does a natty little 'weld on' adjuster whichseem a good idea! Not done one yet myself but may give it a go soon. :twisted:

Of course the easiest way to lower the front of a bug is with dropped spindles! Pricey though! :shock:

conrad668s
08-03-2005, 06:28 PM
i have just brought some springs for mine (40 quid from german and swedish) that will lower the front by 35mm.

not had them fitted yet but not difficult apparently.

no parts requires for the rear to be lowered according to my local vw guy.

i know you can go lower but you need more bits for that (and more cash)

rapidresto
08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
tis different on your bug daz, conrad has a 1303 which uses struts and springs , you'll need to play with your beam or get dropped spindles.

Cheapest way is to get a secondhand adjustable beam (phil picked up a very ropey one at dubfreeze for £30) but £60 should see you right. unbolt yours, replace with new one simple. If you dont go crazy you wont need shorter shocks, castor shims etc.

you can do it the old school way of removing leaves from your beam but this will reduce the ride quality and with adjustabl beams cheap and plentiful not really recommended.

Lowering the rear is a no parts job just time patience and a few good tools.

That said when your doing these it's often a good time to replace brake pipes, and various little bits and bobs so best to budget for these.

give me and gaz a shout when your ready and we'll sort you out.

Daz_bluebug
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
wow lots of work i didnt fink it wud b that easy oh well! will ave 2 keep saving then!

rapidresto
09-03-2005, 03:07 PM
keep your eyes open and check all the bugs in the scrappers, gaz got his adjustable beam silly cheap!

Pherlippherlop
09-03-2005, 07:18 PM
nothing 30 mins with a welder didn't cure, still ropey but no holes!!

if anyone wants me to bring some adjusters back from the states let me know, i'm gonna get plumcrazee to weld em in, think he said £40 on a bare beam more for a complete one....

swayaways are $9 each over there, so it's £10 a pair not £15 each...

Garrick
10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
£25 quid i paid for my adjustable beam when i bough c/w hubs and it was totally mint.. now it's pretty knackered!!

Keep your eye on the local scrappies Daz (especially Wrekin MS)

8)

and it can be done in a couple of hours as well

Coxy
11-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Daz, ignore the Telford Tarmic Tearers and keep yer bug stock!! :wink:

Or buy some dropped spindles!! At least you have some ride quality left! if you have it slammed like Gaz's then all yer fillings will drop out!!

rapidresto
11-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Daz, ignore the Telford Tarmic Tearers and keep yer bug stock!! :wink:

Or buy some dropped spindles!! At least you have some ride quality left! if you have it slammed like Gaz's then all yer fillings will drop out!!

daz ignore the old man, since he's retired he's joined the flat cap brigade and has forgotton the golden rule - style over substance :D

hey its not practical or sane to run a slammed bug or a slammed and turbo'd fasty but it's fun so who cares 8)

you are right to go low, very low, very very low.

Daz_bluebug
12-03-2005, 11:48 AM
i didnt want 2 go low i just wanted to get it level and keep it stock looks good on this site
http://muchos.co.uk/members/daz_bluebug/bug%20finished.JPG
and if i get the job at the environment agency i have applyed 4 get a notchback and make get it to look like this
http://muchos.co.uk/members/daz_bluebug/type32.JPG
:D

Daz_bluebug
12-03-2005, 11:54 AM
i dnt know why the bug pic dnt work will try agen later off 2 work now! hmm coffee!

Coxy
12-03-2005, 11:58 AM
It works now! :wink:

Pherlippherlop
12-03-2005, 12:19 PM
i dnt know why the bug pic dnt work will try agen later off 2 work now! hmm coffee!

do you work in the aroma shop during the week?

might pop in one lunch....

Daz_bluebug
13-03-2005, 06:04 PM
only 4-6 weeknights an 2-5 saturdays,
thanx 4 gettin the pic 2 work 8)