PDA

View Full Version : Freeing bolts?

GingerNik
23-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Right, I need to tighten up the alternator belt on my Polo, cause it's squeaking and driving me crazy.

One of the bolts I need to loosen just plain won't, so what's the best thing to use to free up a bolt besides WD40 (which I've tried, with no sucess).

Cheers dudes...:D

Pherlippherlop
23-03-2005, 06:19 PM
get penetrating fluid, not wd40, wd40 isn't the right stuff:)

then id get some heat on it (blow torch)

then id'd chop the nut off the bolt. go down parallel to the bolt thread, but not cutting into the thread (carefully)

if its a captured nut you have to work on the bolt obviously and be extra carfully not to take the bolt head off...

GingerNik
23-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Hmmm.

I ain't got a blow torch, but penetrating fluid you say? Might give that a go.

All I need to do is loosen the bolt, I don't need it to come right off. Just need it loose so I can move the alternator a bit, and then tighten it back up. Apologies if I didn't make this clear in my original post!

Pherlippherlop
23-03-2005, 06:43 PM
if you can't loosen in it, you'll have to remove it, i knew what you meant....

GingerNik
24-03-2005, 09:24 PM
if you can't loosen in it, you'll have to remove it, i knew what you meant....

My apologies! I confuse myself at the best of times!

I'll try and get hold of some penetrating fluid soonish then and give it a go - I'll wait till I visit my Mum and Dad before attempting to cut any nuts off though as I haven't got the facilities where I am at the moment.

When you say parallel to the thread, do you mean along the axis of the bolt, or in line with the actual grooves in the thread?

Many thanks! :D

Pherlippherlop
25-03-2005, 05:46 AM
opposite way to the threads, take a piccy i'll draw a line :)