PDA

View Full Version : Popping out of exhaust - twin carbs

Sunroof_64
24-03-2005, 06:50 PM
right i'm getting slowly p!ssed off with me engine.
i've actually got the thing to idle , rev freely and not miss-fire.
my only problem is that when at idle (timing is at 10 degress - 009 ) i get a popping out of the exhaust if it was any worse it would be a back-fire.
if i listen down the barrel of each carbs (twin dell 40's), when the poping out the exhaust happends i can hear it through the carb barrels 1 and 2 aswell (louder through cylinder 2 ) but if i listen down barrels 3 and 4 i don't

wierd eh ? any ideas. i'm going to check the valves again in the morning , reset all the carbs back to 2.5 turns each and try again.

Ta,

John (slowly going mad )

Pherlippherlop
24-03-2005, 06:52 PM
have you checked for air leaks?

I think mine is leaking where i have blocked off the carb heater pipes, but it keeps blocking idles too...

does it do it all the time? just on over run? when hot, when cold?

Sunroof_64
24-03-2005, 06:57 PM
once it starts poping it doesnt stop and it happends once its warmed up.
doesn't do it on overrun but i haven't driven it yet just reved it.

John

Pherlippherlop
24-03-2005, 07:15 PM
i'd get it on the road see if it disappears over certain revs, and tighten up all the joints/spray with wd40 and see if it stops.

is it like a machine gun or just occasional with no pattern.

have you checked plug leads and plugs etc?

Sunroof_64
24-03-2005, 07:29 PM
slow poping out of each side (4 tip monza ) changes from side to side

:-(

Pherlippherlop
24-03-2005, 07:47 PM
i'd say an air leak somewhere... inlet or exhaust... get some of the big squishy gaskets rather than the thin metal ones for the fannymoulds and double check you've blocked the heat risers and tightend the exhaust...

Sunroof_64
24-03-2005, 08:14 PM
ok but i've already sealed the carbs down with red RTV and then today i sprayed with WD40 when it was running

but thanks for the advise

John

Pherlippherlop
24-03-2005, 08:30 PM
have you blocked the vacuum take off if the right hand one has one?

Sunroof_64
24-03-2005, 08:49 PM
yep ! vacuum take off is on number 4 cylinder.

the car was setup on a rolling road about a year ago i have had few gremlins , condensor going down blocked, idle jets nothing i haven't been able to solve but this is a wierd one.

John

Pherlippherlop
24-03-2005, 08:58 PM
tricky one then, the idle jets are a bugger on my drla 36's have to pull the entire air filter/linkage plate off as there are no holes in the plate etc to pull the idle stacks through, at lease i have a filter in each banjo and some fresh banjo filters on the way.

if i hadn't sold me progressive i'd have put it back on last year, think i'm finally getting somewhere now.

Sunroof_64
25-03-2005, 11:00 AM
checked valves on numbers 1 and 2 - ok
covered exhaust over didn't really try to stall but still poped back through exhaust. couldn't hear a leak.
When listening down the each barrel (with a 2 inch wide piece of tubing ) cylinder 2 sounded different to the rest of the barrels and the poping could be heard in time with the exhaust poping - red herring ? dont know

Then came my major mistake i took number 2 plug out and just out of curiosity i did a compression test - 150psi not bad i thought. Then tried to take the tester out .... will it budge , will it hell. :wanker: i think the pipe is just spinning in the brass fitting which is in the spark plug hole . Bang goes my easter break i think the only way to get the bloody thing out is to drop the engine :x

not happy

John

Roadrunna
25-03-2005, 01:28 PM
slow poping out of each side (4 tip monza ) changes from side to side

:-(

That sounds like your problem. Sod the 4 tip off. They're crap for your engine, choke's it & have been known to cook them.

Sunroof_64
25-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Roadrunna : what exhaust do you suggest then ? baring in mind i have NO cut outs in me rear valance

right kind of sorted now .....

gasket between the manifold and head air leak found with more WD40 / Morris lubricant

changed gasket put carbs back on no popping so iwent for a quick spin, all fine and dandy then ...... started running on 3 cylinders but will idle just about ok ..... probably a bloked jet again will investigate tomorrow cause i've had enough

:?

John

Roadrunna
25-03-2005, 08:16 PM
One of the Empi twin tuckaway's should fit. fitted on my bug without being proud of the valance. or a hideaway muffler.

Honest to god tho. them monza 4 tips are like a certain savoury snack - Just shouldn't be done ;)

It's like shoving a cork up yer ass & drinking loads of fart juice :D

Coxy
25-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Honest to god tho. them monza 4 tips are like a certain savoury snack - Just shouldn't be done ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made my night!!!

Roadrunna
25-03-2005, 08:53 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Made my night!!!

:D

Sunroof_64
26-03-2005, 08:01 AM
well its rusting nicely now so when if finally goes i'll change it - :D
Coxy and I have a mutual person we used to like he advised me on this.

John

Coxy
26-03-2005, 08:03 AM
well its rusting nicely now so when if finally goes i'll change it - :D
Coxy and I have a mutual person we used to like he advised me on this.

John

Said person has now lost most of his nose to a bad habit! :wink:
Such a shame

Sunroof_64
26-03-2005, 08:07 AM
has someone seen him ?

Coxy
26-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Not in person, but news from his "old" friends travels fast! :wink:

Sunroof_64
26-03-2005, 12:09 PM
the car in running ok now .... blocked idle jet me - hell knows where it came from being as ive got filters everywhere and airlined the carbs.

running cool now accept the gear box is getting worse

John

Sunroof_64
26-03-2005, 07:57 PM
yep i was right idle jet blocked god knows how but he job done engine all ok now

trouble is though me gearbox is getting worse

John