PDA

View Full Version : noises and shakes

kasabianking
25-03-2005, 01:00 PM
hey guys,

this is my first post! it looks like a great group, so i hope you guys can help!

ive recently noticed on my '71 1302s that when i first start her up and lift up the clutch to pull away, i hear a whining/spininng type noise, my first thought was the clutch release bearing, but im pretty sure my bug had a new clutch in not long ago, and also, the noise seems to go away after a while, when i push the clutch down again the noise goes away which is making me think maybe a transmission thing? any ideas?

another problem i have at the moment, is that when im driving my bug and get up to anything over 20mph, and go round a right hand bend, i get a very strong shudder which comes up right through the steering wheel and makes it violently shake from side to side, ive had new struts and a new steering damper and bushing, but the strange thing is that right hand corner thing, its fine on the left hand bends and the straight. ive heard about the infamous super shimmy/shake, but this seems a lot worse than that! could it be a worn steering box or maybe the universal joint??

thanks for looking and i hope you can help

matt

cabb77
25-03-2005, 01:56 PM
not too sure about your second problem, could be a number of things. The first problem you describe sounds like the release bearing to me, it has been known for some people to just change part of a clutch and not everything(to save a few quid).
hope this helps

kev
25-03-2005, 07:37 PM
welcome aboard :D
i agree that it's a fair chance the release bearing is on it's way out
check for play in the ball joints on the steering (had what sounds like
a similar problem with a 1303 - lower ball joint with loads of movement)
or maybe a wheel bearing

Sunroof_64
25-03-2005, 07:55 PM
i'm with Kev .... also check tracking