PDA

View Full Version : Beetle front Beam swop

Souper Steve ABB
07-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Is there anyone in Brum who can help me swop over a front beam on the 69 BUg you see on the left???

The replacement has disks and have most parts all ready to do the JOb just need new disks and a few nuts and bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sick of my hi-rise front end!! :(

Thanks

Sunroof_64
07-04-2005, 03:15 PM
depends when (as in day ) and what time ? and where in Brum are you ?

John

Pherlippherlop
07-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm actually doing mine on saturday or I would offer :roll:

you can come and watch if you want ;)

Souper Steve ABB
07-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Great Barr / no rush... but would be nice to have done for a show or 2 this year :)

cabb77
07-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi there
When was you looking to do it and where abouts are you? Do you have some where to carry out the swop?
I live in Great Barr and if the timing etc is ok I would gladly help.

Souper Steve ABB
07-04-2005, 09:28 PM
would basically have to be done on my drive :(

cabb77
08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
You have a pm

wolvesdub
08-04-2005, 01:50 PM
i swapped mine the other week, most of the old parts can be used. the only problem i had is the old grease nipples dont fit the new beam :(

btw how much grease do i need to put into the new beam?

cabb77
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
with replacement beams you often have to re-tap the holes and fit new grease nipples, as for the amount of grease, keep putting it in till you see it start to appear at seals

Souper Steve ABB
09-04-2005, 03:01 PM
JOBS A GOOD UN!!!!!!

Thanks a million for the help today CAB77 was totally not expecting to get it done today was just hoping to set a date! but thanks to you i'm now scraping the roads of great Barr with my super low bug!!!!!!

If someone can tell me how to post pics i'll do a before and after so you can see my car prior to being pimped! :)

If anyone wants a cheap beam complete with brand new drums, bearings, shoes and pipes call 07968 198 734 and make me an offer NOW!!!!!!!!! before the pikeys nick it!

cabb77
09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
no worries
Steve, get those pics up soon and keep the front lid as is. It looks the db's
see ya soon bud.

Souper Steve ABB
10-04-2005, 12:40 AM
How does the shirt fit by the way?

cabb77
10-04-2005, 05:10 PM
fits fine, didn't need to though. Enjoyed it, miss messing with VW's . Get those pics sorted

Souper Steve ABB
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
gave it a good tanking today mate! it's like having a new car can really toe it now the steering wheel doesn't wobble when you go over 40! lol

Bit worried about the steering box though :( makes some horrible creaking noises when dry steering whilst parking etc gonna take the one off the other beam just in case and swop it when I get the chance.

other than its frickin great! :o)

Pherlippherlop
11-04-2005, 08:22 AM
good luck fitting the steering box with the beam in place :) it's not so bad if you can get the arm of the splines though :)

Souper Steve ABB
23-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Cart has developed a mind of its own :( i think judgement day has hit and its become self-aware :cry:

Tkaing it down local garage to day to have tracking checked but thinkits that dreaded steering box :(

Am I right in thinking the ball joints need tightening once in a while?

Souper Steve ABB
24-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Phew what a relief!!!

Took car to have tracking done and spotted when on ramps that the dodgy steering was down to the whole steering box moving on the beam!!!

Garage had a good look and didn't charge me and then sent me home to sort out the box and to come back when fixed in place.

They did tracking and and checked everything and only charged me 21 quid!

There are some good peeps left in the world!
Car goes like stink now and handles sweet! Even braved a speedy overtake in the fast lane on way back from BUSTYPES with complete confidence!

Gotta leave it there dogs just let rips and it stinks so I'm offffffffffffffffffffff

Garrick
25-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Phew what a relief!!!

Took car to have tracking done and spotted when on ramps that the dodgy steering was down to the whole steering box moving on the beam!!!

done that one myself!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

i can laugh about it now