PDA

View Full Version : Wheel banding??

blistered
07-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking about getting some stock wheels banded for the rear of the bug... anyone got any ideas on how much it will cost and where I could get it done?

Cheers

steffreak
07-04-2005, 08:18 PM
hey dude, forgot to tell you my m8 had his done so ill get the info off him for you, ithink it was about 20 quid a wheel or sumat like that! :D

My MSN broke :( !

blistered
07-04-2005, 09:07 PM
cheers m8... nice one

steffreak
07-04-2005, 09:15 PM
no problem ill pm you the details tomoro night

flat4fanatic
08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
send a mail to paul knight at ultra vw, he had some on his hot rod bug.
It's a bit of a legal minefield as it's illegal to make banded wheels now, but whatever way he did it was ok. You can get wider stock looking 70's wheels that are 1 piece - lemmertz or something like that

blistered
08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
any idea of an e-mail addres?

rapidresto
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
paul got his done by his old man bob who runs bobs paint and speed shop in essex.

It is illegal to manufacture banded rims full stop (the process of splitting the rim and welding in a band of steel to make it wider) whether its legal to run rims that have already been banded is the grey area (most beleive it to be illegal).

Bob uses another process of re-rimming the wheel where he cuts the centre out of your wheel and welds of a wider rim from another wheel (jag stock steels are a favourite) but this as you can imagine doesn't come cheap!

steffreak
08-04-2005, 11:51 PM
blistered, i aint spoke to my m8 yet, he did kind of a dark one today so ill phone him 2moro 4 u.

i got to get 2 rear ones done now aswell :D

jonnyspatter
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
If anyone has any details, post em up!

I fancy a pair on the rear of my rail!

blistered
11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
seems I may have started a trend... :roll:

I'm not gonna be special anymore...

Was speaking to Micheal at Machine 7 on Friday about it... he reckons there may be a slight problem... apparently, it's illegal to actually to the banding, but not to use them :?:

So, looks as though if you can find a set already done then it's cool, otherwise it'll be through some dodgy backstreet garage somewhere...(who you'll probably make your wheels square or something :roll: )

This is the kind of depth I'm lookin for!
http://www.lowlifevw.com/4images/data/media/3/paaskevertreffen_2005_3.jpg