View Full Version : fuel leak!?!

12-04-2005, 11:56 AM
uhoh... my car has smelt of petrol for a while, but recently got a lot worse, now i have found a small puddle of fuel on my drive...

The haynes manual is less than helpful, the advice is to "repair and renew as necessary" but i dont know where the fuel line goes...

i have a 1302s and the fuel was just behind the front right wheel, under the filler cap. Any ideas on what i should replace? Is it worth replacing the whole fuel line, i need to replace it from the pump to carb anyway.

please help me! i can't afford to keep filling her up :(

12-04-2005, 12:24 PM
first off you need to get this sorted ASAP!!!!

its either the fuel filler hose (unlikely) - check to see if there is any obvious splits or leaks around the big hose going to the tank under the bonnet, check that all pipes are secure and in good nick.

more likely is that it the hose from under neath the tank.

the fuel exits the tank in the centre underneath and goes via a rubber hose to a steel pipe that then runs throught the centre tunnel to the rear by the gearbox where it attaches to another rubber pipe that lead to you engine.

lift the tank up by undoing the 4 13mm bolts and slackening all the hoses on the top. dont forget the wire going to the fuel sender.

you'll be able to see the rubber hose from the bottom.

if you've got loads of fuel still in the tank, you might find it easier to drain it first.

undo the flex hose pull out the tank and inspect the area around the outlet (classic area for rust).

If all is well replace with proper fuel hose and jubilee clips.

12-04-2005, 04:22 PM
cool beans, i'll do in soon as i can!

What sort of hose shall i replace it with? On machine 7 i found some cheap cloth braided hose (£1.50 per m) and on SSP it is just called fuel hose (£2.35 per m) not sure if it is rubber though.

Sorry if all my questions seem stupid but this is my first car and i dont know anyone in my area to help me with it! You guys are the best! :D

12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
The braided type and what SSP sell are for the engine bay.

You need copper fuel line, 6mm if I am correct.

If the tank is fine then it can stay in to refit the fuel line but it will need clamping off at the rubber hose coming from the tank, we used a pair of mole grips :oops: then disconnect the fuel line and collect all the fuel out to save getting a mess everywhere.

Then it's a case of cutting the old off as close to the tunnel as you can both ends and then sending the new one along the outside of the tunnel in the car under the carpet, up the side of the seat runners etc.
You may need to drill a hole through the bulkhead so you will need rubber grommets for there and also through the rear by where the brake hose exits by the inspection cover.

It's also worth replacing all the rubber hoses in the engine bay and between the fuel line and tank just to do a good job and for piece of mind.

13-04-2005, 09:43 AM
bazil is talking about replacing the hard fuel line that runs through the tunnel it's possible you need to replace this but hopefully it'll just be the rubber hose.

Pop down to your local car parts place / even halfords and they will be able to cut of a run from a big roll - saves you the postage then!

Nothing special about fuel hose, just make sure its for fuel and not water! (will have it printed on the side).

I personally don't like the overbraided stuff as although it offers a little extra protection against abrasion, you can't see if its getting old and perished.

The hose should be mounted in a way that it doesn't rub against anything anyway.

13-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Also, don't use jubilee clips to tighten the rubber fuel lines, try and get the proper fuel line clips that are smooth on the inside.

13-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Also, don't use jubilee clips to tighten the rubber fuel lines, try and get the proper fuel line clips that are smooth on the inside.

good call, but jubilees are better than zip ties which i have seen on too many occasions :shock: