PDA

View Full Version : Changing Front Beam Bushes

blistered
19-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Gotta change the bushes on my beam but I'm a little confused as to how it'll work (haven't looked in the haynes manual yet).

Micheal at Machine 7 said that you have to push the torsion leaves back into the beam to be able to remove the existing bush/bearing, but how do you do this? The bolt that goes through the adjuster goes through the leaves right?

Anyone done this?? help needed!!!

Thanks
Dan

flat4fanatic
19-04-2005, 09:30 AM
the roller bearings in the beam :shock:

It's a real pain in the bum. Easier with the beam off. I skived the job on mine and got a good 2/h beam.
The others are nice & straightforward in comparison.

rapidresto
19-04-2005, 10:08 AM
the adjuster bolt sits on a indent in the leaves to locate them and its the same with the arms at either end. slacken the centre bolt off, remove on arm, slide the leaves into the beam and if you've got bearings as opposed to red urethane bushes you'll need a puller or slide hammer to get the bearing out (not easy). bushes will pop out more easily.

reasemble the arm and repeat on the other side. then relocate the centre bolt adjust and tighten.

why are you looking at replacing them? are they definately worn to excess? make sure everything is tight first and that the beam is properly greased up as either of these will often give movement.

blistered
19-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I've been told that it is. :roll:

Everything is tight and greased up as it should be. Apparently there is a little play in the top balljoint too, so, I'm gonna swap the top arm off my old beam to save having the ball joint pressed out and in again.

Is having a bit of play in it not an MOT failure?

The tracking hasn't been done since the beam was put on and wanted to get this done before getting the trackin to save having it done twice... or will it not affect the tracking?

Thanks for the help (as always) guys :D

flat4fanatic
19-04-2005, 11:44 AM
The only thing you'll notice when the bearings pack in on the front bean is that when you push the suspension down it doesn't return (take the shocks off to try). If it bounces back they'll be ok

Play in a bj will fail the mot.
I wouldn't waste your time swapping your old one in case it's just as bad. A new one's about 6 quid and it only costs a fiver to have one pressed in and out at nuneaton vw services & then you dont have to worry about possibly replacing it again for next years mot. doing the top bj can affect the tracking, so I'd do that 1st then the tracking.