PDA

View Full Version : T1 gearbox help/info

Buggybaggy
17-05-2005, 12:41 PM
I have a '72 chassis, and a pre '67 gearbox with all the 5 stud brakes etc. which I want to fit together. As far as I know I need to change the front section of the box, but I'm currently well lost on what my options are relating to the brakes. :?
Will they fit as they are, or will I need to change everything to 4 stud from drums through to backing plates, and what about the driveshafts (sorry that is probably not the correct term, but I'm sure you'l know what I mean :oops: ).
Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Tyler
18-05-2005, 08:11 PM
do you have a gearbox in the 73 chassis?
the pre 67 boxes had thinner castings as far as i know which means that they wont match up to the spring plates!

i could do you a swap? i think i have a pair of later axle tubes somewhere!
i think the rest is the same although you might be as well to measure the widths of the setups as the track may be different!

in which case you need to fit the later shafts and tubes to gether but im not sure about the brakes ! i guess they are ok if you are fitting the whole setup

best to ask on vzi :oops:

Rich Oakley
19-05-2005, 06:45 PM
You're right, to fit onto your chassis you will need to change the 60's box nosecone for your '72 style nosecone. Pre 67 bugs had shorter axles so you need to remove the short axles from your early box (allen keys and a decent pair of circlip pliers required) and then fit your later axles and axle tubes onto your early box. You will need an axle recon kit which includes bearings and gaskets for the whole procedure.
You will have to use your '72 4-stud brakes (unless you want 5-stud in which case you have to locate some 67-only 5-stud rear assemblies or use 4 to 5 bolt wheel adaptors).
Hope this helps!

PS: Gearbox oil smells like cat piss.

Buggybaggy
20-05-2005, 12:15 PM
On reflection I've decided to go the easiest route and get a box that'll be a straight fit.

Thanks for your replies.

Baggy.

jonnyspatter
20-05-2005, 02:06 PM

True. I've never smelled anything as bad as that!

rapidresto
20-05-2005, 02:07 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
so true :D