PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!! Brakes fooked!!!!

splitscreencharlie
18-05-2005, 12:16 PM
:? Brakes have felt spongy for a while and now they are next to none existant!!!!
I've looked in the fluid reservoir and its almost empty.....so.......What brake fluid do I need??????
I presuming that because of the above, there is a leak somewhere.......so.....I cant see anything obvious along the lines, am I best topping up the fluid and pumping the brakes and seeing what happens or just bleeding them for the time being and keeping an eye on the levels??????

Samage
18-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Refill the brake fluid resevoir, the look under the car whilst getting someone else to pump the brake pedal - see where any fluid splurts out.

If the fluid level goes down but there's no sign of leakage under the car, it could be an internal leak in yer master cylinder.

splitscreencharlie
18-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Ta very much, will give it a bash.......any ideas with the type/grade of brake fluid as the type 2 workshop manual specifies that it needs to be either vw or ?lockheed brake fluid???????

cabb77
18-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Any brake fluid will do, sounds like you willl be changing it soon once you find the problem anyway.
Check the back of each of your brake back plates and see if any are wet ie wheel cylinders.

Rich Oakley
19-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Standard Dot3 or Dot4 fluid will do the job.

If you are losing fluid, there IS a leak somewhere. Check for wet lower backplates on the wheels and then check the master cylinder and compensator for fluid leaks- you should be able to spot it pretty easily.

Toad
21-05-2005, 11:22 AM
i would hazard a guess it could be the master cylinder, Mine went on the bug but only at the front, brakes were spongy but still working slightly so i didnt notice for a while.
Is your reservoir more empty on one side? mine is split so you can see the front and back levels.

splitscreencharlie
21-05-2005, 07:48 PM
It is a duel braking system, but the reservoir isn't split. I topped it up and brakes returned, but have to pump them so I'm guessing thats air in the system. I'll bleed them and see what happens, but the reservoir was almost empty before I topped it up, so there must be a leak somewhere. At the back, there is fluid dripping off the reduction gear thingy on the offside so thats no doubt a good place to start. The only problem I'm having at the min is limited space and tools so I'm only able to bimble along slowly.....plus I'm on nights so I'm bolloxed........It should get fixed next week, weather permitting!!!! I'll keep ya all informed!!! :?