PDA

View Full Version : Strange brake calipers

blistered
18-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I got a disk brake set up and put it all on when the beam was changed on the bug.

When we came to bleed the brakes we found the bleed nipple on the drivers side is on the bottom of the caliper and the passenger one is at the top. Is this right?

I'm sure theres still air in the system and it's just causing an air bubble at the top of the caliper.

Any ideas?

Rich Oakley
19-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Those calipers sound ok.

What makes you think you've still got air in the system? If the brakes have been thoroughly bled properly, you will have eliminated any air. Common causes of 'sponginess' are the flexible brake hoses failing (usually the fronts). The inner walls of the hose breaks down and doesn't allow fluid to return to the master cylinder properly. Change the flexis if you think everything else is in order.

blistered
19-05-2005, 09:10 PM
cheers m8

Just don't feel quite right, seems to be braking in steps. Could be the pads I suppose, maybe i'll change them and see if that helps. Doesn't feel as though it's stopping as well as it should. (compared to my mates bug)

The flexi's are brand new... only about 2 months old.

Will get round to bleeding the brakes through again and see if that helps any.

cabb77
20-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi there, just a thought, try adjusting your rear brakes first then bleed all the system, starting with the rear wheel cylinder furthest away from the master cylinder.
I've had it in the past were there was too much movement in the wheel cylinders and I couldn't get that last bit of air out, so adjust shoes and re-bleed and all was well.
Sorry if you've already tried this.

blistered
20-05-2005, 08:39 AM
thanks m8. Gonna have to get me old man over to have a look at it I think coz it's definately not right.

flat4fanatic
20-05-2005, 10:31 AM
seems a bit odd with only 1 bleed nipple.
Maybe it isn't but mine have always had 2 - one at the top and one at the bottom & I was told to bleed then using the top one as that's where the air would rise too.
It could be you have 2 of the same side calipers on either side if you see what I mean.
steve

blistered
20-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Thats kinda what we thought, maybe I'll phone BugShak and ask them.

It seems as though it'll be impossible to get all the air out when you're bleeding the caliper from the bottom.

cabb77
20-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Some calipers only have one nipple, Me and Super Steve bleed his calipers and they only had one. My 72 bug only had one too.

blistered
20-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Some calipers only have one nipple, Me and Super Steve bleed his calipers and they only had one. My 72 bug only had one too.

at the top of bottom of the caliper?