PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had to have a flywheel changed on a mk4 Golf GTI

MDH_74
23-05-2005, 11:48 AM
My golf has gone in for a clutch and the garage have just called to say they have stripped it down and found it needs a new flywheel!!!

It has 74000 on the clock and this is the first clutch,

The garage want to charge me £611.14 plus vat for the flywheel part alone, and a total of £1114.98 for the clutch, flywheel and Labour.

Has anyone else had to have a flywheel changed on a MK4 Golf, or are they trying it on (i know what i think)

rapidresto
23-05-2005, 12:06 PM
only time you'd need to replace the flywheel is if its so badly scored or cracked from heat due to the clutch plate being worn down to oblivion! I'd be surprised if this is the case after 74K tho :shock:

Unless they can show you it's compleatly fubar i'd tell em where to stick it!

MDH_74
23-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Apparently this is quite common nowadays, it is a new type of flywheel called a Dual Mass flywheel. Taken from an article on them in some magazine recently:

Dual-mass Flywheels
The dual-mass flywheel is designed to absorb engine vibrations before they are transmitted to the driveline where they can create gear rattle. This is achieved by splitting the conventional flywheel into two sections: a primary section, which bolts to the crankshaft, and a secondary section, onto which the clutch is bolted.
The primary section of the flywheel contains springs to isolate engine vibrations and a torque-limiting device to prevent engine torque spikes from exceeding engine and transmission component strength. When torque spikes occur, the torque-limiting package allows the primary section of the flywheel to turn independently from the secondary section, saving the driveline and transmission from damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/MDH_74/dualmassflywheel.jpg

rapidresto
24-05-2005, 09:22 AM
fook me thats all a bit technical! makes sense tho, but i still can't see how this becomes a 'consumable' part after 75K, and have they told you whats wrong with the old un yet?

Still stinks of this is a real technical part so we can say its fooked and charge em a right fortune, spin em the 'it's a common prob with these cars mate' line. :roll:

jonnyspatter
24-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Of course, you broke the golden rule:

Don't drive anything made after 1990! :D

MDH_74
24-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Apparently the old one has turned blue from the heat. We spoke to some other VW garages and they said it is quite common to change these now when a clutch goes, still bad when a clutch bill goes from £464 fitted to over £1100.

Well at least it my company car, so i don't pay the bill.

rapidresto
24-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Well at least it my company car, so i don't pay the bill.

well in that case get a new engine fitted!