PDA

View Full Version : wheel smoking

surferdude06
19-06-2005, 11:17 AM
just need a diagnosis really. driving the beetle yday about 50 down the motorway. the wheel started juddering and then smoke started pouring from the front right wheel. when i stopped smoke was coming out for about ten minutes. then i noticed oil everywhere on the inside of the wheel. Anyone got any ideas? its got disc brakes. i'm guessing its a wheel cylinder. not sure tho

jonnyspatter
19-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Taste a little bit of it. If its really sharp and tangy its brake fluid (highly poisonous!).
It could be that the piston seal in the caliper has split, allowing the piston to seize on. Take the caliper off and see if its ok. If not, new ones are cheap enough (£30+vat from GSF).

Or you could have a wheel bearing collapsed, which is just as easy to replace if you have a haynes manual, but I doubt that.

no worries
19-06-2005, 07:57 PM
nicotine patches might work :lol:

Coxy
19-06-2005, 08:01 PM
If it's juddering, then it does point to a collapsed wheel bearing.
Not a major job, but it'll need to be done!

rapidresto
20-06-2005, 10:33 AM
juddering could also be the brake coming on but if it was you'd have noticed the car pulling hard to that side. I'm more inclined to say bearing.

Jack up the car and try spinning / wobbling the wheel about.

Damson
20-06-2005, 03:57 PM
nicotine patches might work :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought i was a heavy smoker ......... but even i have never gone as far as smoking a wheel :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

surferdude06
20-06-2005, 06:05 PM
lol cheers guys for your help. it was the caliper seizing onto the disc. hence it got too hot and oil shot from the wheel bearing. the nicotine patches didnt help she's addicted to them now!