PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Tracking/Alignment

Wolfburg Willie
09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Can anyone recommend a garage that can align the steering on a 72 bug in the Telford area? Bought a tyre this morning asked for the tracking to be adjusted on the bug but Telford Tyre Services in St Georges could'nt manage it because the old style beetle does not feature on their computer.

Coxy
09-07-2005, 10:51 AM
I think it's Roean in Wombridge if they are still there that can do tracking on Bugs. The Land Rover place.

blistered
09-07-2005, 01:23 PM
anywhere should be able to do it... apparently, the front just needs to be set parallel. being rear wheel drive and rear engined..

Sunroof_64
09-07-2005, 06:31 PM
woooo there if you have had your back end lowered i bed your rear end is out of alignment aswell.
the holw axle moves forwards/backwards on the spring plate which does toe-in / toe-out

as i found out the hard way

John

Rob
11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
anywhere should be able to do it... apparently, the front just needs to be set parallel. being rear wheel drive and rear engined..

I think it is meant to be toed in by 1/8" to help with the self centring of the steering, but yeah 90% of places will just set it parallel, and if they won't do that because it's not on the computer you didn't want to take it there anyway...

It is also fairly easy to get close enough by using a piece string pulled taught with the aid of a friend (and even a ruler if you are in a hi-tech mood) . If you take your time you can achieve suprising good accuracy assuming your wheels are not too distorted.

Pherlippherlop
12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
ATS in madeley
Chris Hardy - said they could

both the above do 4 wheel laser for about £50 - i'd try ATS first, but they'll only do it if your trackrod boots are not knackered!

I did my front 'by eye' and it handles beutifully, the backs a bit more dodgy to do without the right gear though...

blistered
12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
A lot of places that do lazer tracking won't touch lowered bugs...mainly because the equipment won't fit on the wheels!!