PDA

View Full Version : Typical! Bloody typical!!!!!!

Souper Steve ABB
13-07-2005, 04:32 AM
Now I know why they say...

''If it ain't broke don't fix it''

Just got back from Devon and cornwall touring in the new van and all was fine bar that I had to get a guy to weld a plate in my drivers floor as my accelerator pedal fell off!

Anyway exhaust was blowing and van was spluttery so as it got me home okay I decided to treat it to all new fuel lines a new fuel pump and a new exhaust.

What a mistake

Just got towed home by AA

Symptoms are:

VAn starts fine tics over sweet but as soon as you try and pull away it's all over :evil:

AA bloke says it's a fuel problem - any ideas????

PLease! PLease! PLaese! I need to get this sorted for weekend so if anyone can help that would be great!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for talking 5 to read this rant! :)

blistered
13-07-2005, 08:23 AM
I've got a similar problem on my '59 bug... we've put it down to the fact that the bit on the side of the carb for the choke is a bit loose so doesn't seem to be working.

Could it be that?

jonnyspatter
13-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Dizzy advance problem?
If you got a vacuum advance, is it working?

rapidresto
13-07-2005, 08:41 AM
could be jets are blocked in the carb. Often happens when you replace fuel lines etc as its a prime time to introduce crap into the system.

Are you running a fuel filter?

Regardless its a carb off strip and clean making sure all jets are blown through.

Not as tricky as it may sound, just get the haynes out, clean the carb thouroughly on the outside first and strip carefully on a clean and clear surface keeping everything in order!

flat4fanatic
13-07-2005, 11:30 AM
As above - sounds like jets are blocked up

Souper Steve ABB
13-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Only thing that worries me is:

A. I disturbed the dizzy when swopping the fuel pump

B. The cam rod for the fuel pump - Will it be the right length? HAd this theory in my head that if it was too shorts by a knats knacker I would get fuel starvation.

I tend to agree with everyone about the jets though as the AA chap could keep it running by spraying easy start into the carb. Why he didn't act on my suggestion that he ran behind me spraying it into the carb I'll never know :?

While I'm at it the instructions that came with the exhaust recommended swopping the jet for another size with certain engines?

This have any relevance to a 71 1600 Type 2???

camperdave
13-07-2005, 09:43 PM
have yo put the fuel pipes on the right way round on the pump

rapidresto
14-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Only thing that worries me is:

A. I disturbed the dizzy when swopping the fuel pump

B. The cam rod for the fuel pump - Will it be the right length? HAd this theory in my head that if it was too shorts by a knats knacker I would get fuel starvation.

While I'm at it the instructions that came with the exhaust recommended swopping the jet for another size with certain engines?

This have any relevance to a 71 1600 Type 2???

Easy enough to set the static timing (check out haynes if its a stock vac advance dizzy), the fuel push rod does come in different sizes but they are obviously different so it'll either work or not hardly at all.

I doubt that the new exhaust has improved air flow through the carbs enough to warrant a jet change. At the most maybe you'll need to run it a bit richer.

Ding
21-07-2005, 11:11 AM
that was weird, i was just about to post a query on the same thing! I replaced some fuel line and put a new air filter on, then after a while it felt like there was a giant flat spot, as i accelerated the car backed off! Sounds like the same problem as you are having...

I'll try to clean my carb and that, im not very good at this playing with cars business yet though, does it require any special tooling and what should i use to clear the crap away?

From now on im definately not "fixing" anything on my bug unless it needs it!! :oops:

rapidresto
21-07-2005, 11:40 AM
that was weird, i was just about to post a query on the same thing! I replaced some fuel line and put a new air filter on, then after a while it felt like there was a giant flat spot, as i accelerated the car backed off! Sounds like the same problem as you are having...

I'll try to clean my carb and that, im not very good at this playing with cars business yet though, does it require any special tooling and what should i use to clear the crap away?

From now on im definately not "fixing" anything on my bug unless it needs it!! :oops:

Always a good idea to replace fuel lines reguarly. Carb stripdown and clean requires a screwdriver maybe a spanner or 2 (long time since i messed with a solex) and ideally a gasket kit.

did you replace the paper element air filter or have you put on a different type of filter?

Ding
21-07-2005, 01:33 PM
i got one of those pretty pancake filters, but after the tradegy that was my car collapsing on me i put the old one back on...

i also put on one of those controversial fuel cat things which are intended to convert the unleaded fuel to leaded. i was already running unleaded fuel in my car but i had the fuel cat in my garage and thought i may as well use it. :? When the car started to not work i took that off too. Do they work as a fuel filter or should i get a separate filter as well?

If i get a carb rebuild kit like on street style and power will it have everything i need in it? What are all the little bits in the picture?
http://www.streetstyleandpower.com/publicRouter.cfm/loadPage/161?cftoken=95005496&cfid=540923

Cheers for the help!

ps does anyone know any VW clubs that cover the cheltenham/gloucester area?

Pherlippherlop
21-07-2005, 02:31 PM
you can never have too many fuel filters!

i usually run 2 on beetles, 1 under the tank at front (makes tak removal easier too.) and one "VERY SECURELEY CLAMPED!! after the fuel pump..

too short a rod would cause problems,the Alternator pump has a shorter rod, the dynamo one a longer one (usually)

of course too long a rod, in a short fuel pump would probably cause issues too (and knacker yer pump!)

when replacing pumps i would always by a rod to go with it, that way you know for sure.