PDA

View Full Version : handbrake trouble

babyblue
15-07-2005, 06:14 PM
the handbrake in my bug has completley stopped working theres no tension at all in it, could anyone give me an idea of where to go to get it fixed or if i should try myself..? and also any idea how much its going to cost? i cant believe how expensive it is having a vw its crazy but soo worth it! :)

Verne
15-07-2005, 07:06 PM
the handbrake in my bug has completley stopped working theres no tension at all in it, could anyone give me an idea of where to go to get it fixed or if i should try myself..? and also any idea how much its going to cost? i cant believe how expensive it is having a vw its crazy but soo worth it! :)

that's why it's best to try and do the simpler things yourself, can save a fortune. My wife once told me that we couldn't afford to get the FI fixed on my old fastback and if I didn't do it myself, it wouldn't get done. So I did it myself :D

If you haven't already got one, get a haynes manual

You may find that one of the end fittings has come off or the cable is broke, which means hub off.
If still in tact, there are 2 cables and they have screw adjusters at the back of the handbrake lever (under boot). If adjustment there doesn't cure it then the hubs gotta come off, which will take a little more expertise and tools as the hub nut can be a sod to shift, but it's not that difficult, just follow the manual

HTH

jonnyspatter
15-07-2005, 09:59 PM
The beauty of owning a VW is that most of the stuff you can fix yourself. The handbrake cable being a class example. Get a haynes manual, and 'How to keep your volkswagen alive' By John Muir.

Most importantly, join a club! They'll be the only people you can go to that won't rip you off!