PDA

View Full Version : How to get an engine in a bug.

jonnyspatter
18-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Right, following on from my thread in General Chat, I just had a chat with Clewley, and he says I have the wrong size flywheel in. He says there are 2 kinds, the 180mm and the 200mm. Although its a '67, the previous owner spat the original box with a 2276, so replaced it with a later 1300 box. According to Clewley, the 200mm flywheel won't go into a 1300 box as it has a larger outer diameter. Now I thought that was true of 6 volt and 12 volt bugs (the later flywheel has more teeth?), but I thought the later 180 and 200's all had the same outer diameter.
Is this true?

jonnyspatter
18-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Just to add that my torque multiplier fits both flywheels with the same sprocket, so they can't be that different, can they? :?

rapidresto
18-07-2005, 12:01 PM
the late 180 and 200 mm flywheels are the same physical size as far as i'm aware. Have you put a new clutch on? Sachs clutches can be a pain in the arse to get the engine in with as they seem tighter on the splines. It really could be just a case of fiddling and rocking and twisting and swearing until it slots in!

How are you raising the engine? I find balancing it on the head of a jack the best method as it allows you to tip the engine in all directions.

I had this prob in a bay a few years back i spent hours trying to get it to fit. Gave up (cos it was about 2am) and dropped it out again. went back and tied it the next day and hey presto straight in!

jonnyspatter
18-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Yep, that's usually the way with all mine!, just that Saturday night I left it, and Sunday it was just as bad! :(
I'm using that method of lifting the engine myself, but I'm glad you mentioned that about sachs clutches, that could be the source of all the problems!