PDA

View Full Version : servicing 72 Bay, 1600

Disturbed Bonsai
08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
gonna service my bay at the weekend!

what do i need to have for an oil change? (oil, seals, filter?? washers??)

what type of spark plugs needed? (pref bosch super 4's but which ones)?

anything else need doing?

also

how do you tell if you have points to adjust or its been changed to 'lecky?

Thanks

Rob
08-12-2004, 02:09 PM
There is a great article about oil changes and the rest of the areas which need lubrication here:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=20000426002439.22417.0000248 3%40ng-fd1.aol.com

I starts off with a bit of a lecture about the fundamentals of lubrication, but is very good read.

funkypunk89
09-12-2004, 07:16 AM
For an oil change:

- Gauze (if you can be arsed to clean yours)
- oil change gasket and washer set
- Oil

Just go into GSF and tell em you need the stuff for an oil change. They'll sort you out.

Not sure about super 4 plugs....

Points/leccy ignition. Take the distributor cap off and have a look in teh dizzy. there wil either be a metal arm thing on one side, or a little electronics box sitting on a peice of plastic. you'll know when you see. :)

Disturbed Bonsai
09-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks all

very helpful :)

Louey
12-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Someone should have said also

feeler guages for tappets and points.

Probably best to get new points too - check your dizzy cap, usually they are OK unless 5 years old or very worn out by poor performance

:)

Disturbed Bonsai
13-12-2004, 08:09 AM
ok then got started off on the service and cleaned the carb as it needed to be done while cold, actually found the part number on it and it is a F**king water cooled type. who the hell would put a water cooled choke carb on an aircooled engine???

not only that but how the hell is it actually working???

after that was about to drain oil and it is lowered to much to get the drainer can under the sump!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAArrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

ended up wasing him and rain-ex'ing the windows

hes now going in for a garage service and tune up, and to see what else has been buggered on him

I can see this being an expensive new year :evil: