PDA

View Full Version : building a 1641

flat4mundo
10-12-2004, 03:00 AM
not sure on the heads bottom end sorrted scat c 35 cam stock other bits will have new cylinders and pistons just not sure on head set up

give me a few ideas then i ll do a poll

Sunroof_64
10-12-2004, 08:19 AM
keep stock - port and polish maybe ..... with bolt up rocker shafts

Bottom end - lighten the flywheel have the whole bottom end balanced dynamically

rapidresto
10-12-2004, 08:25 AM
if nothing else just match port the heads and manifolds!

quality build is important and will allow you to get them most from your engine, balance everything, lighten the flywheel and make sure your deck height is spot on and cc your heads.

Rob
11-12-2004, 09:42 AM
I have been building an engine for my other car (non VW) and it seemed a good idea to get it balanced . The cost of the balancing work was very high (to put it mildly).
What kind of price is reasonable/normal?

paddy311
15-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Use stock heads with stainless valves and a 3 angle valve job. The stainless valves are loads slimmer around the head than a normal valve..... extra flow. Also just clean up the inlet ports and remove the bit in the exhaust ports where it turns the 90degree bend...... it gets really narrow. Take it out on the side closest to the exhaust studs.

Crap explanation..... but thats what i do on a motor like that.

Neil Davies
18-12-2004, 09:57 PM
And match port the inlet port to the inlet manifold. Basically make both holes the same size! I used the grey fibre-type inlet gaskets as a pattern and opened the hole in the head and manifold up to the same sizes as the gasket, so it all flows nice and smoothly.
Get deck heights to 0.060" and cc heads to give about 8:1 compression.
1.25:1 rockers really wake up an engine like this, especially if you have the carbs to get the air/fuel in there too! 36 DRLA's are ideal. A decent 4into1 exhaust helps get rid of the gasses too.

vdubs1303s
21-12-2004, 04:59 AM
chugaboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom :lol: