PDA

View Full Version : beetle wont idle

vwdorma
12-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi there

I have changed the carb x2, points x2 and condenser x2, cap, plugs and leads and it still wont idle!

Anymore ideas because im fresh out! :evil:

Havnt got any pre-heats on manifold though, so could it just be the pipe freezing the petrol? So will a IMDU help?

flat4fanatic
13-12-2004, 09:26 AM
does it not idle at all or just not idle 'till the engines warmed up & when it's warmed up its ok?

If the latter it's probably carb icing. Next time it does it feel the manifold just under the carb - if it's really cold there's your answer.

Regardless of whether it's the problem or not put on a manifold with pre-heat pipes. An imdu will help, but probably won't be enough to stop icing without the pre-heat pipes connected

vwdorma
13-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for ur reply

No it do'esnt idle at all, cold or hot, and sometimes it over revs then dies :?:

flat4fanatic
13-12-2004, 10:10 AM
could be an air leak. Get the manifold sorted 1st then if it's a twin port renew the manifold rubbers that join the centre T section to the ends.

Also, is there a good connection from the coil to the idle solenoid cut off valve?
When it's driving, is it smooth or lumpy / uneven?
Did you clean out the jets in the carb(s)?
hth

vwdorma
13-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Also, is there a good connection from the coil to the idle solenoid cut off valve?
When it's driving, is it smooth or lumpy / uneven?
Did you clean out the jets in the carb(s)?
hth

I think theres a good connection, but will double check

When driving it seems ok'ish, it will still do the same speed as is always did, apart from having to over rev it to go pull off.

I did strip the carb as much as i could and cleaned, but it was a old carb that has been sitting in the shed for ages, im gonna get a carb re-build kit for the original carb, and put that back on while im changing the manifold.

Will GSF or someplace like that sell the rubbers for the manifold?

flat4fanatic
13-12-2004, 11:03 AM
yep,
gsf do the rubbers