PDA

View Full Version : Golf2 cuts out unless I keep on the accelerator - Help!

LeeChapman
15-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Hi

Just last night my 1991 1.6 Golf Driver (carb engine) has the following problem. It stalls unless I keep my foot on the accelerator! As you can guess it stalls when I have to brake and stalls at idle. Not that it has an idle now as it just drops and cuts out. The battery is fine as the electrics still work.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Before it all happened I had just pulled off, went into first then second, braked then back into 1st (by accident). The engine revved alot, I realised I was in first so put it into second (as I didn't actually brake to a stop.

I'm just thinking might I have blew something? A fuse/relay/valve?

ol bluey
04-01-2005, 08:12 AM
i know there were a fair few probs with golf/jetta carbs.

the only thing i can think of is the waxstat on the carb *stop laughing at the back, it does exist*

other than that, its probably easier to get a 2nd hand carb

or..the carb needs setting

probably no help am i? :P

LeeChapman
04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
No worries as it's now running just fine. How bizzarre is that? I did'nt do anything to it. I'm not complaining though just keeping my fingers crossed.

I've heard of the waxstat before but wouldn't know what it's like to look at.

Thanks for the tips and Happy new year.

Regards
Lee

guz
04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
had similar on my old mk2 driver,
sh1t pulled through from the tank.
started/ran fine the next day.

clewleyzvdubz
04-01-2005, 06:21 PM
sound's like you had blocked jet in the carb,change the fuel filter if not fitted fit a inline fuel filter they're only about 2/3 quid.

LeeChapman
05-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks.

I've just changed the fuel filter. I always do it the same time as the air filter and oil change.

I guess it was gunk from when I cleaned the carb with the carb spray.

Regards
Lee

dave
17-02-2005, 07:48 PM
my mk1 golf used to do that n it woz down to the solinoid that prevent,s over run on the carb packing up.un screw it and put a wire to it n connect the wire to a car battery n earth the body of the solonoid to earth on the battery.if the plunger on the solonoid clicks back its not ur problem.other than that try the fuse under the dash :)