PDA

View Full Version : Improving 1303S handling / steering

Bazil
10-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Got my 1303S floorpan finished off nice, Shell is going to be sprayed soon.

What can I do to improve the handling of the beetle? I've looked at heavy duty roll bars and a few others but are they worth it? and do they do anything noticeable?

and what else can be done?

Coxy
10-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Lowering springs for a starters. probably not cheap if you want some quality ones, bit improve looks and handling in one go. Then get some nice alloys, if an '03 then some modern looking 16" jobbies!

Bazil
10-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I've got lowered Springs and Alloys, a lot of things had already been done to the car when I bought it, Pertronix Ignitor, Kamei front spoiler, Scat bucket seats. Trying to get the Kadrons back off the guy I bought it off.

You don't know where I can get a Europa to Blade adapter do you?

Bug-er
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Got my 1303S floorpan finished off nice, Shell is going to be sprayed soon.

What can I do to improve the handling of the beetle? I've looked at heavy duty roll bars and a few others but are they worth it? and do they do anything noticeable?

and what else can be done?

First of all change all the rubber bushes in your front end, to the urethane equivalent, available for kingfisher kustoms. This will dramatically improve the handling in your 1303, these bushes wear and most of them are old and so not up to the job anymore.
then if i was you i would fit some coil over front springs, that is so long as you have stuspension struts with the two bolt design.
I would then add an uprated anti-roll bar on the front and the back.
this coupled with big alloys and low profile tyres should get your bug hadling really good.
check out www.germanlook.com , they will help you with anything else you need to do.
Adam

Pherlippherlop
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
You don't know where I can get a Europa to Blade adapter do you?

I think coolair and BigBoysToys do them...

Bazil
11-01-2005, 05:09 PM
First of all change all the rubber bushes in your front end, to the urethane equivalent, available for kingfisher kustoms. This will dramatically improve the handling in your 1303, these bushes wear and most of them are old and so not up to the job anymore.
then if i was you i would fit some coil over front springs, that is so long as you have stuspension struts with the two bolt design.

Sorry, forgot to say, I have Coil Overs and Urethane bushes.

I'll look at the uprated anti roll bars though.

I think coolair and BigBoysToys do them...

Thanks, I'll check the Cats.