PDA

View Full Version : me car dies when i take my foot of the accelerator

Toad
13-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Er exactly what it says in the subject.
my foot comes of the gas and my car dies instantly. i have no idea what did it. just started doing it this afternoon?
hellllpppp please.
i checked the coil which had a faulty conection. what else should i check?

flat4fanatic
14-01-2005, 08:17 AM
what car is it?
could be the connection to the solenoid cut off valve if its an aircooled or a faulty valve itself or a blocked jet in the carb

Toad
14-01-2005, 10:09 AM
its the baja (this is john & gen) so it might be part of whats been causing all my problems. which solenoid???

rapidresto
14-01-2005, 12:49 PM
if its a stock carb, the fuel cut off soleniod, barrel shaped bit on the side of the carb with a wire connected to it.

clewleyzvdubz
15-01-2005, 08:48 AM
if it runs ok up until you slow down or stop ,you'll find it's a blocked jet not allowing the bug not to tick over.

Toad
15-01-2005, 09:05 AM
did a rebuild on the carb, seemed to do the trick. of course now i have to set the airflow etc etc and i have no ear ofr it. might just nip her to the local vw garage ;)
or colar a local vw sumaritan to listen to her tick, :)

clewleyzvdubz
15-01-2005, 09:24 AM
i've sent you a PM.

Samage
18-01-2005, 11:24 PM
You know, my Bug's begun to do the same. Except it happens intermittently, no telling when or where it'll strike. And it doesn't to it every time. The only things that all occurences have in common are:

- It runs fine after being restarted

- It only ever happens within 15 mins of being started, if it's gonna happen at all.

I've checked that solenoid cut-off connecting wire, that hasn't come off. What dya think? I know the last owner fitted a new carb and didn't bother to get it set up, instead opting, in his words to: "Fuck with the screws until it sounded OK". :?

Aside from this it runs like a dream, what could it be?

flat4fanatic
19-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Samage - if it's just the first few minutes warming up it'll be carb icing. run it for a minute or so and then touch the manifold just below the carb, you'll probably fine it very cold (as ice has formed inside). This is probably due to your heat riser tubes being blocked (the 2 thin tubes that come from the exhaust).
What exhaust have you got on it?
Usually solved by fitting an imdu which is a little manifold heater - about £20. Theyve got a website but I can't remember the name
Steve

Samage
19-01-2005, 09:35 AM
I've actually got an IMDU, but I haven't fitted it because:

A ) It didn't come with any instructions

and

B ) It didn't come with any instructions. Such a big drawback, I felt it was worth mentioning twice.

:?

flat4fanatic
19-01-2005, 11:33 AM
this might help a bit:
http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/imdu.htm
you don't need to bother with the sitch though - you can always disconnect it in the summer

Samage
26-01-2005, 03:22 AM
IMDU is fitted - and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. When I stomp the throttle, it actually sounds and feels and if something's sticking...

Something wrong with the carb, dya think?