PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering

Samage
27-01-2005, 10:05 AM
My Bug is being silly at the moment. I mentioned it in another thread to no avail, so I'll give the problem its own thread in the hope of getting a response.

Basically for the first 20 or so minutes after starting, the engine stutters and hesitates under anything more than minimal acceleration. It isn't carb icing, as the car has an IMDU fitted (this was fitted to cure a separate problem. I'd hoped it'd fix this one too, but didn't...).

The problem reduces after 20 mins but never actually goes, there's always a little hesitation.

I know for a fact the carb isn't set up right - could this be the cause? Or is it the fuel pump? I'm pretty sure it's a fuelling issue of some sort.

I think ideally I need to take it into a workshop to get it looked at......

Whichedge - whats the number of your place..?

rapidresto
27-01-2005, 11:25 AM
sounds like a carb issue to me, if it's not set up right then any other problems (dodgy fuel pump etc) will really cause a prob.

how old and knackered is the carb? It could be time for a rebuild (really not too tricky and pretty cheap) then set it up as per the haynes manual. If you dont get smooth performance then start to look at the fuel delivery.

Have you got everything else set nicely? plugs, points, valves etc as all of these won't help the running if they are out.

Just a side note, do you know that the IMDU is actually making a difference cos they dont always work. try disconnecting it to see if the problem gets worse.

Samage
27-01-2005, 11:53 AM
The carb was supposedly new just nefore I bought the car (April 2004) - but then I suppose the last owner could have just shined it up to make it look new...the last owner also admitted he didn't set it up properly - he, in his own words: "Fucked around with the screws until it sounded OK".

And I'm pretty sure the IMDU is doing its job, cold starts are one hell of a lot easier since I put it on.

I'm just thinking of taking it to a garge for an all-round tune up, see if that does anything. As an amateur and full-time idiot I couldn't tackle anything complicated myself.

Pherlippherlop
27-01-2005, 12:24 PM
when does it stutter? is it just of idle or all the time, do you have an 009 dizzy fitted?

Samage
27-01-2005, 12:38 PM
It mostly stutters towards the middle of the rev range, in 2nd and 3rd gear

Pherlippherlop
27-01-2005, 12:49 PM
weird, sounds like a problem transitioning between idles and main jet, time for a carb setup/clean me thinks

Coxy
27-01-2005, 02:01 PM
"Fucked around with the screws until it sounded OK".

Nowt wrong with that! That's how I tune mine up!!! :D

Also, check the gap between yer points. It could be a culmination of things. Every bug deserves new plugs, points and leads on a regular basis. I do mine religiously at least once with every bug that I've owned!!

Pherlippherlop
27-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Nowt wrong with that! That's how I tune mine up!!! :D

Also, check the gap between yer points. It could be a culmination of things. Every bug deserves new plugs, points and leads on a regular basis. I do mine religiously at least once with every bug that I've owned!!

not done ant of mine yet, or the valves. changed the oil a couple of times though. have only done 500 miles in the buggy and 4000 in the beetle though :D

i've actually got some plugs and a new oil filter for the buggy, had em ages...

Samage
31-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Messing with the carb has eased things quite a bit, but ideally it needs to be seen to by someone who knows what they're doing :oops: :lol:

Pherlippherlop
31-01-2005, 05:01 PM
shame you arn't more local to telford you could have brought it round to 'Pherlippherlops Carb Clinic' on a sunday morning.

Sorted a carb tuning issue for someone last sunday... can't you find a club member a bit more local who can have a quick look?

Coxy
31-01-2005, 05:18 PM
You could take it to Whichedges workshop. He's pretty useful with stuff like that!

Garrick
31-01-2005, 06:04 PM
what engine and carb have you got?

as setting a good clean carb up on a stock engine isn't too bad as long as the cars warm.. If its like mine you have 1 screw for adjusting the mixture. Basically i think this screw should be set two and a half turns out. After setting it 2.5 turns out, when you screw it in the rev's should drop and when you screw it out they should pick up (might be the other way round can't remember!). And then the carb should be set up correctly... also check your fuel lines fuel filter etc for dirt etc

Hope it makes sense kind of

:D

Samage
10-02-2005, 04:50 PM
OK, so I gots me a checklist here of what I'm gonna do to try and ease things......could someone tell me how to do this stuff, or point me to a site which gives instructions?

1) Plugs, leads and points. The first two explain themselves, but what/where the hell are 'points'? And how will I know if they're OK or not?

2) Fuel pump - this is old, and might be duff. How do I check if it's OK or not?

3) Valves - where are they and what am I supposed to do with them?

4) Carb rebuild.....not looking forward to this. My capacity to botch up even the simplest of tasks is gonna make this interesting to say the list. Even so, how do I go about doing it?

Any instructions/help appreciated!

Samage
10-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Right......ignore parts 3 and 4 of the list, they're way outta my league. Just help me with the first 2!

flat4fanatic
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
If petrol is getting through I'd think the pump would be ok. New carbs need setting up properly. I'd take it to nuneaton vw services (attached to the jet petrol station, just down the road from the tip). Apparently he's very good at tuning them. Probably going to get mine (new carb too) done there next week or so
steve