PDA

View Full Version : Front Seats - Golf to Beetle

harryjohn
29-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Can any experts out there advise if the front seats from a Golf can be easily installed within the Beetle. If not then can anyone spell out in detail the various pitfalls and problems that are likey to be encountered and comment on whether woth trying or otherwise. Some Golf seats I have located are in really good nick.
Cheers

Coxy
29-01-2005, 08:39 PM
What Golf are they out of?

That'll make a difference :wink:

harryjohn
29-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Would need to contact the seller to confirm. From which Golf would the seats be most suitable/adaptable/compatable!?

Coxy
29-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Mark one seats should go straight in!

Pherlippherlop
29-01-2005, 09:42 PM
the mk1 ones go in late bugs with 3 pt fitting, otherwise you'll have to fabricate.....

harryjohn
29-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I will confirm with the seller and post on Sunday. My bug is a 1974 1300 so do you consider this as a 'late' bug!?. I recall the Golf seats had the seatbelt receiving/release clip attached direct to the rear of the seat frame - does this give any clue to the origin?
More on Sunday. Thanks.

harryjohn
30-01-2005, 04:42 PM
OK guys now get the technical information flowing on how to install GOLF MK 1 seats into my 1974 1300 Beetle. Is it really as simple as you make out in the initial replies.
Just exactly what will I need to undertake and will I still have the adjustment back and forward as the original seats provide. Does the fuitting of Golf seats give any added restrictions to the passengers particularly the ones in the rear.
Also would the Golf rear seats be of any use in the beetle. Sorry for the queries but I have not seen the rear seats. Thanks so much.

Pherlippherlop
30-01-2005, 05:43 PM
where are you, where are they, how much are they?

:)

Coxy
30-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I had Mark 1 GTi seats in my old 67 bug. They went straight in, but there was a small problem with the big windy uppy thiny that adjusts the seat if I remember rightly and in the end I had the passenger seat in the drivers seat and vice versa. It was along time ago tho.

harryjohn
30-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm in Bath, the Golf seats are in South Wales and the asking price is 50 quid ono. Is it worth the risk guys!?
I seriously doubt that I could use the rear seats anyway. The front seats especially do look the part I must admit. What do you think!?
Any further advice on this matter!

Pherlippherlop
31-01-2005, 06:57 AM
seems abit much, for 50 quid i got a full set of Metro seats and a full set of mint saxo ones. i'd make £40 the ONO and give it a go.

guz
31-01-2005, 11:57 PM
seems abit much, for 50 quid i got a full set of Metro seats and a full set of mint saxo ones. i'd make £40 the ONO and give it a go.

agreed, for that price i'd want
leather seats, but i'm tight :wink:

(i might have a use for the mk1
GTi seats in my shed then :D )

flat4fanatic
01-02-2005, 11:33 AM
If theyre gti ones or mint £50 is fair.
However, mk1 golf seats *will not* fit straight into a bug without being modified. The width between the 2 rear legs is too wide to fit the beetle rear runners. What you will need to do is chop off the bottom of the rear legs on the golf seats and weld on the curved rear legs from a bug seat to narrow the track. Tbh it's pretty straighforward & nothing an hour with a grinder and welder won't fix

Just seen the rear seat bit - Rear seat is much comfier than a bug one but will need some modification too. The bottom of the seat is fine, but the back is too wide at the top. You need to take the seat apart (v easy covers are held in by folded over card) and chop out both corners & reduce the width accordingly. You'll also need to fabricate some brakets or somesuch to lock the back bit in place as the original ones won't work. I made some brackets that bolt to the luggage area floor so theyre out of site.
It's well worth doing though as they are far comfier than stock ones and safer with the headrests too

guz
13-02-2005, 10:53 AM
would it be possible to bend the
rear legs in using a rachet strap ?

rapidresto
14-02-2005, 11:26 AM
would it be possible to bend the

I tried this when fitting some audi seats to the fasty (although i had to make them wider) and it kinda works but unless you get it spot on they won't move in the runners smoothly.

flat4fanatic
16-02-2005, 08:05 AM
>would it be possible to bend the

possibly - but you might end up staring at the sky when youre sitting in them (back legs aren't really tall enough)