PDA

View Full Version : lowered beams - what do ya need???

blistered
30-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Wanna get an adjustable beam for me bug, so, obviously you've got the cost of the beam itself.... but what else do you need to buy to go with it???

Let's say the beam's either coming from BBT or Machine 7.

Cheers... need to know ASAP so it can be done for Dubfreeze!!!! :D

camperdave
30-01-2005, 08:30 AM
buy 1 allready done its easyer

blistered
30-01-2005, 08:31 AM
don't get ya.....

I'd be buying an adjustable beam... but theres surely other stuff that you need to buy with it.....

isn't there?

Coxy
30-01-2005, 08:38 AM
If you buy an adjustable beam pre cut with adjusters brand new then it won't have any of the leaves inside and you'll need to take all the leaves out of your old beam and insert them into the new one, which is a bitch of a job!
If buying an adjustable beam, buy a good 2nd hand one off someone with all the leaves in. Or better still, buy some dropped spindles. Better ride quality by far, although, you cannot adjust the height!

blistered
30-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Not really keen on dropped spindles....

a. They're stupid expensive...
b. Theres too many speed bumps round here
c. Don't like the idea of no adjustment

Coxy
30-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Not really keen on dropped spindles....

a. They're stupid expensive...
b. Theres too many speed bumps round here
c. Don't like the idea of no adjustment

There's some on ebay at the moment and they're a decent price. They give a 2 1/2 inch drop.
If there's too many speed bumps, then you don't want to have a lowered bug at all! One with adjusters is a heap more uncomfier than one fitted with dropped spindles!
Best bet is to fit both! That way you get to slam yer car, still have suspension and some comfort, and fine tune that ride height!

Daz_bluebug
30-01-2005, 09:26 AM
hey Coxy wot problems do you get with speed bumps if you get dropped spindles i have 2 get over a few through regent street to college, but really wanna lower my bug.

Coxy
30-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Them bumps in Regent street are a bit harsh, I know them well!!!
The main problem is "bottoming" out! and if you have a tow hook on your beam then that kinda smacks everything in sight!!
You can get away with a lowered bug but not one that's slammed into the weeds!

Daz_bluebug
30-01-2005, 09:43 AM
cheers 8) , so do you think dropped spindles will b ok i am not 2 sure how much 2 and a half inches will drop it

Coxy
30-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Dropped spindles and skinnier tyres.
Where abouts in Wellington are you?

Are you gonna make it to our next club meet?
I would say you could look at Garricks car to see what a lowered car looks like but he's a gig on the next club meet!
Check out "Da '65" in the readers rides section. That bug is from Wellington!

Daz_bluebug
30-01-2005, 09:49 AM
i am in arleston m8 an i am hoping to come to the next meet yeh and wouldnt mind tagging on to dubfreeze cruise

Coxy
30-01-2005, 09:51 AM
You won't be tagging along, you'll be part of it!!

Welcome to the FLF4s.
Whilst your on, pop into our club section on here (Fun lovin' Flat fours V Dub club) and introduce yourself!

Daz_bluebug
30-01-2005, 10:01 AM
cool! snds gud will cya then m8 £5 to join isnt it?

Coxy
30-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Yup! :wink:

Coxy
30-01-2005, 10:04 AM
BTW. This is a car with a lowered beam! He even has difficulty getting on and off his own driveway! So bumps down Regent Street are a no no!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/930119/newst2.jpg

Daz_bluebug
30-01-2005, 10:18 AM
yeh it looks the part though! i read about your drive and that he took a chunk out of it ! not what i wil be going for with mine i think thanks for the advice

Garrick
30-01-2005, 04:08 PM
hey Coxy wot problems do you get with speed bumps if you get dropped spindles i have 2 get over a few through regent street to college, but really wanna lower my bug.

lowered car and regent street don't go together trust me! :lol: :cry:

Blistered...

I bought my beam from a scrappy for £20,

you'll also really need to buy a set of castor shims (£5ish) and long bolts (£3ish) along with a set of short shocks (£30) if you don't get the beam, shocks etc complete..

With regards to ground clearence etc, an adjustable beam gives you plenty of options, I took the "Adjust it as low as it possibly goes" option and then fitted smart car tyres to get down there with fag butts, small pieces of gravel, cat eye's etc.. I did however run it lowered with standard styres for a while without really experiencing and bottoming out.

blistered
30-01-2005, 08:16 PM
i'll give the scrappy a call in the mornin... :D

jonnyspatter
31-01-2005, 06:12 PM
A word of warning.
http://www.medialabarts.com/ds/uploads/jonnyspatter/1071200686.jpg

I tried dropped spindles and lowered beam on this and with the frame head resting on the drive, could spin the front wheels by hand!
Left a trolley jack shaped dent in the front clip.

Garrick
31-01-2005, 06:50 PM
I tried dropped spindles and lowered beam on this and with the frame head resting on the drive, could spin the front wheels by hand!

Tizz a laugh having a lowered bug.... I have to drive mine onto bricks to get the trolley jack underneath it! Wouldn't raise the suspension tho' :D :D :D

Sugarbug
31-01-2005, 07:04 PM
i'm not really sure how low to go with mine :roll:

... got an adjustable beam fitted an lowered about 1 to 2 inches me thinks an 2 splines t'other end ... wouldnt mind going lower tho :D

jus dont know at what hieight i'd be pushin my luck with speedbumps an driveways :shock:

sugar x

blistered
31-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Tizz a laugh having a lowered bug.... I have to drive mine onto bricks to get the trolley jack underneath it! Wouldn't raise the suspension tho' :D :D :D

Judgin by some of the pics you've posted of yours... you could reverse it onto the drive!!! :D

blistered
31-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Don't suppose you wanna lend me your spindles do ya Jon?? :D

flat4fanatic
01-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Dan,
lots of people just fit adjustable beams without the shims etc but if youre going to go fairly low theyre worth getting.
If the ball joints are old, now would be the time to replace them. Theyre about a fiver each and there's a place in nuneaton that will press the old ones out and new ones in for 20 quid a set
Bugpack short shocks are the ones to go for

Steve

rapidresto
01-02-2005, 12:54 PM
yeh it looks the part though! i read about your drive and that he took a chunk out of it ! not what i wil be going for with mine i think thanks for the advice

that wasn't gaz's bug that was a rather low fastback :D
be good to have ya on the dubfreeze cruise.

When i had my bug i managed to pick up a new lowered beam, compleatly built up with a brand new disc conversion for £140, and the scabby but solid adjustable beam i took off i sold for £60 compleate so there are bargains to be had.

Castor shims are only needed if you've got a nose down stance.

go low, you can always walk to college :D