PDA

View Full Version : Polishing wheels-help needed...

ade t
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
...want to polish up the empi 5s on the orange beasty, they're the standard metal finish at the moment...

...anyone done this,what grade of paper should i be looking at,thinking of using the old drill technique with some buffing type stiff on the end...

...have got a spare to practice on or if anyone knows someone cheap n local who could do it for me

cheers in advance

ade

Budgetbus
04-02-2005, 12:49 PM
if you want to pop over nuneaton you can borrow my mop.....get a real corse head and some rough compound and away you go......
i dont need it for a few weeks......

rapidresto
04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
when i did the highlights on my pedrini's i brought a polishing kit for about £15 from the polishing shop. It's got all the mops and compounds you'll need to achieve a mirror finish with a normal electric drill, be warned though it takes hours to do each wheel and its knackering.

try rainbow polishing if you want em done for ya.

ade t
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
cheers guys! Whats a mop by the way!!

Might try n get a polishing kit-presume these are available at a decent motor factors, if I cant find one I'll take you up on your kind offer Lyndon!

Cheers boys :D

Budgetbus
04-02-2005, 01:42 PM
a mops like a big polisher about the same size as a slab cutter....
its heavy and torquey and slow enough not to heat too much what its polishing.....its usually used to cut back paint finishes.......it has a big sponge/abrasive head on ......much easyer than using a drill.......although you might need a drill to do the corners........but a mops what you need to do the big areas...... 8)

rapidresto
04-02-2005, 02:08 PM
www.thepolishingshop.co.uk

8)

flat4fanatic
06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Rainbow polishing in brum do it - £20 a wheel vg job too/ their no. is in yell.com

ade t
07-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Rainbow polishing in brum do it - £20 a wheel vg job too/ their no. is in yell.com

cheers chap-might give them a ring :D

rapidresto
07-02-2005, 11:56 AM

well worth it if you ask me, having done just the ribs on the peds it takes sooo long and is such a pain in the ass £20 each seems a right bargain. 8)

thmpptrck
07-02-2005, 03:44 PM
i did my teledials started with a big tub of paint stripper, then 120 grit papered then 400 grit paper ther 800 grit paper with some cutting compound then 1000 grit, then load of polish it was bloody hard and took a few hours per wheel but was worth it in the end....

http://www.coolkarclub.org.uk/mbbs2/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=3&photoid=568