PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front beam on bug

Souper Steve ABB
01-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi guys I have a lowered front beam with disks ready (more or less) to go on my 69 bug. Can anyone help?

Pherlippherlop
01-03-2005, 08:18 AM
I did this last weekend! (by myslef of course) still recovering....

have you got disks already? if so should be straight forward if hardwork.

jack it up on axle stands underneath the ends of the heater channels (where the double bolts fit just under bulkhead)

remove wheels

Fuel Tank out

disconnect steering damper

disconnect track rods

disconnect steering column

unbolt calipers and move out of way.

unbolt the 2 top bolts on the beam under the bonnet

undo the four bolts that hold the beam onto the frame head (it won't fall down at this stage)

2-3 people help for the next 3 stages

whilst people are holding the beam wiggle it loose - thunk ouch as it lands on somebodies foot.

take the steering box off and put it on new beam.

lift the new beam up into place making sure you have rubbers on the top mounts ( I used a trolley jack and some tie down straps but a hoist would make life much easier), this will be tricky as the top mounts will not want to go into the holes, I found lying on my back and giving it a good kicking help the last inch or so and it should then clunk into place.

assembly is the opposite of removal

if you are dropping it straight away you'll need some castershims behind the bottom beam (£12 inc p+p from www.streetstylepower.co.uk)

get your alignment done.

I may be able to pop and help but not this weekend...(mothers day and the missus hasn't forgiven me for doing mine last weekend yet!)

Souper Steve ABB
01-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Thats great! tanks for getting back so quick where are you based? Maybe sort something out for April some time so long as I got it done for Big bang I'ma happy bunny! Cheers

Pherlippherlop
01-03-2005, 09:35 AM
i'm in telford, early april would be cool...

flat4fanatic
01-03-2005, 11:00 AM
we're hoping to run some tech workshops & the 1st one will probably being doing just this. nuneaton might be a bit far for you though.
You'll need to change your front flexi hoses too as they are different to drum ones
cheers
Steve

Souper Steve ABB
02-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Not sure how far is Nuneaton? I have flexi hoses and pads already and calipers have been checked all i think i need is a new steering coupling, new disks, a few track rod ends ( or whatever they call em) and it should be cool as was on car prev. Other than that I keep hearing stuff about castor shims but I'm thick and don't know what they do! lol

If you can give us more info would be great to be involved though! Cheers

flat4fanatic
16-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Steve,
if youre free this saturday...
https://volkstorque.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2799
Nuneaton is J3 M6

Bazil
16-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I fitted a stripped down beam with the arms and everything off and just the torsion bars in the beam, nice and easy to lift.